WOS Galerie Logo

Biography

Marino Marini was an Italian artist who initially worked mainly as a sculptor, later also as a graphic artist.

From 1917 Marini studied painting and sculpture at the Academy of Arts in Florence, among others with the sculptor Domenico Trentacosta. In 1928 he spent his first stay in Paris. In 1929 he took over a lectureship at the art school of the Villa Reale in Monza near Milan, which he held until 1940. In the following years he travelled frequently to Paris, where he made the acquaintance of Giorgio de Chirico, Wassily Kandinsky and Aristide Maillol, among others, and where he later met Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque and Henri Laurens. Stays in England, Germany and Greece followed.

In 1940 Marini transferred to the Accademia di Brera in Milan; he spent the years 1941 to 1946 in Ticino, Switzerland, where he met Alberto Giacometti, Fritz Wotruba and Germaine Richier. He returned to Milan in 1946. In 1950 he travelled to the United States for the first time on the occasion of his first solo exhibition in New York; it took place at the Buchholz Gallery, directed by Curt Valentin. Marini's patron Valentin died in 1954 during a visit to Marini's house in Forte dei Marmi.

Marino Marini participated in documenta I (1955), documenta II (1959), and also documenta III in Kassel in 1964. Major retrospectives of his work were shown in Zurich in 1962 and in Rome in 1966. A considerable proportion of his works deals with the theme of "horse and man". Marini created a large number of sculptures (such as the sculpture standing in front of the entrance to the Neue Pinakothek in Munich), some of which he also painted.

He is known to a wider circle through his colour-intensive lithographs, which he created in the 1960s and 1970s. Mostly he created cycles (for example "Marini from Goethe" or "Marini from Shakespeare") with a certain motif (for example standing person with one or two horses), which he changed in colour.